Because deep down we all know the dominant system we live in does not serve the majority, failing to provide even the basics of life - food, clean water, clean air, and shelter for millions of people.
Because deep down it does not serve this beautiful miracle called Planet Earth, upon which we are all dependent on and interdependent with. We are heading for a planetary Fry-up. The Alarm bells are ringing.
Because a revolution without Compassion, without the inner, personal change, as history has shown, often leads to a repetition of the domination of the few, those with power and control of resources, over the many.
Because coming together with others, sharing our voices and our vision, is the antidote to overwhelm, despair, and powerlessness.
The current path of humanity is ecocidal, undemocratic and unjust. Corruption, vested interest, economic policies and legal frameworks maintain the status quo. Many alternatives exist but they are rarely discussed in the media, which is largely owned by establishment billionaires. Movements for change are pacified in a number of ways; they are hampered by a lack of alignment and restrained by feelings of powerlessness. Yet there is a groundswell, a longing for change, a sense of urgency.
A compassionate revolution will rapidly and peacefully redistribute wealth and power so that we can focus on the pressing issues of our age. This isn’t about “smashing the system” then starting from scratch. We can reuse and up-cycle the tools, processes and structures that we currently have, to serve all of humanity and to protect life on earth. This is about sharing and stewardship. All of us contribute positive and negative things to society. We can up our collective game by working together. A wealthy establishment has promoted an economy which serves them, in which there is “one rule for the 1% and another rule for the rest of us”. Like dealing with spoiled children, we need to lovingly reset boundaries and teach them to share! We all need to remember our connection to each other, that we are part of nature and that by working together we are irresistible!
When I speak of love, I'm not speaking of some sentimental and weak response. It would be nonsense to urge men to love their oppressors in an affectionate sense. I'm not talking about that. When I speak of love, I am speaking of the kind of love that organizes itself into a mass movement that says somehow I am my brother's keeper, and he's so wrong that I am willing to fight --and die, if necessary -- to get him right again. Martin Luther King
Our shared vision (draft) is of:
An inclusive world, where individuals are supported to express their unique gift and where we work together to support our community, to create beautiful things and to tackle the major problems of our age. Our lives will have the meaning we long for; we will uphold the best in our humanity for the greater purpose.
- A functioning democracy, where people have real agency in decision making. Devolution of power to the lowest level, with structures to facilitate decision making locally, regionally, nationally and internationally, where appropriate.
- An economy designed to maximise well-being for all people and minimise harm to each other, our fellow creatures and our home planet. Policies and law focused on greater equality, localising production, reducing consumption, zero carbon and zero waste, are urgently needed.
And this needs:
- A revolution, meaning a rapid change in wealth distribution and power structures, preventing rich elite from perpetuating a self-serving ideology. Our democracy, our media, our academia, our think tanks and businesses (organisations whose purpose should be to meet our needs) must serve all people and a healthy ecology.
For examples of policies that can enable this new way see examples from a Draft Manifesto for Economic Justice and for examples of the capture of our world to serve an unsustainable, corrupt and unhappy purpose see here.
But this isn’t about defining exactly what a new world would look like. Who knows how we might best function, if we were less stressed, had better information; if we were more confident and trusting?
And it isn’t necessary for us to agree on all points. Our energies are best directed where we feel passionate and where our gifts and skills are used; where we feel happiest. We know the initial steps we need to take to move in a better direction. We can move forwards with a shared, open vision, working together, to bring more people into active, hopeful engagement and to collectively resist the domination of a shadow (in our own hearts and manifest in public life). We can determinedly build together the more beautiful world our hearts know is possible.
Here’s a simple outline of how we might achieve a Compassionate Revolution:
- Build a critical mass of people identifying with a movement for a Compassionate Revolution, thus helping to create and spread awareness that many people believe this is necessary and are willing to lend their collective energy*.
- Continue and develop the change work we are already interested in. This work is varied and tends to include #ResistingHarm, #HealingHarm, building #WayBetterWays and growing our #CollectiveEvolution.
- Participate in mass acts of art, heart and civil disobedience. These help to scale up the spread of ideas, build our resolve and collectivise our resistance. They change the social reality and shift the bounds of possibility. They help us to realise we have agency as a collective, countering despair at our malfunctioning democracies and inspiring us.
- With sufficient scale we can insist on and manifest change. We don’t need a full blueprint to move forwards in the direction of change. We can use social media and reclaimed public broadcasting to share ideas. “Peer to peer” tools can be used to discuss alternatives and we can try new processes such as “liquid democracy”.
We have partnered with activists who were also part of Earth First! Reclaim the Power, Radical Think Tank, Plane Stupid and Occupy to create a new organisation (currently called Rising Up!) to work with these tactics and many more. So our main activities will be hosted on the Rising Up! website
Believe change is possible and we are half way there ...
*Feel free to call yourself a compassionate revolutionary if you largely agree with these ideas.